Re: CUPS printing, drivers and ppd's

Bill Spears <bspears@easystreet.com> wrote:

I've got Woody up and running and now I need to understand a little about printing. I've decided to give CUPS a try and I've got the following pkges installed: (love that apt-get)
 cupsys
 cupsys-bsd
 cupsys-pstoraster
 cupsomatic-ppd
 cupsys-driver-gimprint
I'm trying to use the httpd admin (localhost:631/admin). According to my understanding, I should have a lot of drivers to choose from --I need Lexmark Z52. But the admin just shows the 3 or 4 that it comes with.

What am I missing?

Suggest you go to the Debian "packages" web page and review the list of "depends" packages + the list of "suggested" packages for the cupsys package for starters (http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/cupsys.html).

From my casual glance it appears that you need libcupsys2 plus maybe some of the others that are not on your list above. Dunno if this is oversight on your part when you made the list, or they are actually missing. If you installed all the packages via "apt-get" then all of the "depends" packages should have been dragged in on the install of the cupsys package. You should double-check this, IMHO. Same thing with the rest of the packages you installed.

I have had much better luck with the cupsys-driver-gimprint package than with the cupsomatic package. (They are and "either/or" suggested package.

I also have the cupsys-client installed here and it is not on your list. The other packages appear to be the same as I have.

I have found the "Printing Manager" in KDE a very nice wizzard/tool to use in config of my CUPS install here. It is a little vague on getting the printer on the network for others to use (which can generate some "gotchas" for the un-initiated), but it worked great for me on a single-station install. I now have my system working over the network too...

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-