Re: Possible virus?

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:58:34PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >This has never happened to me because I don't use microsquish products
| >:-).  What that is is called a "read receipt".  It is supposed to be a
| >feature, but most software doesn't support them.  You can tell because
| >    1)  the subject has "Read:" or "Not read:" prepended
| >    2)  the Content-Type: is as shown
| >    3)  the mailer is Outlook
| >

| Mozilla supports it.  I have it set to ask me if someone requests one
| and for the most part I say no.

I do remember seeing the checkboxes for it in the GUI when I used
Netscape 4.x for mail (before I found linux, btw).

| Every so often a post to this list pops up one of those requests and
| I can't help thinking to myself: "What if everyone actually approved
| the request?  The sender would get what would amount to a DoS with
| several thousand e-mails in the space of several hours..."

The ones I've noticed are the asian spam, which are then followed by a
nice flood (on-list!) of "Read:" (and a few "Not read:") responses.
That's what prompted my exim-based rejection of such crap.

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/