Re: (SOLVED?) Re: [CLUE-Tech] Logitech optical mouse?

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:54:51AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:27:11AM -0600, Grant Johnson wrote:
> > I use one and have had no troubles.  I would suggest trying the generic
> > and logitech specific settings.  One should work.
>
> setting protocol="ImPs/2" seems to work well.
>
> I am runnign this devive thru a KVM switch, so I am not using the USB
> feature, but rather the PS/2 adaptor.
>
> I am not sure if this is correct, but I sysmlinked /deb/input/mice to
> /dev/psaux.

I would get rid of the symlink and switch your config to use /dev/psaux, so
that if you later get a USB mouse, the device node will exist for it.

> The new setting (/dev/input/mice) seems to be an XFree-86-4'ism.  I saw
> some discussion about how it lets gpm and X share the mouse; I do not
> run gpm, so the symlink works for me.

No, it's a USBism.  /dev/input/mice has always (well, since before I've had
a USB mouse) been what you use for a USB mouse.  The problem was simply
that you never mentioned what port you were connecting to, and the
responders all assumed USB, so they gave you the configuration for a USB
mouse.

> When I tried "mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63" I got a 'cannot open / no
> such device' upon starting X.

This is simply because there is no such device (i.e. no USB mouse).
Actually the /dev/input/ directory isn't just for USB, it's the new HID
input layer, which is also used on older macs for their ADB devices.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/