Re: eth0 entry on interfaces

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 03:38:23PM -0300, AlienSprite wrote:
| And what is needed to share filez? I don't know which entries should be made
| into interfaces (etc) to apply both computers to talk with each other.

I don't have the details on your intended setup handy, but here's what
I know about it :

---------     ---------
| host1 |<--->| host2 |<----->Internet
---------     ---------

The host1-host2 connection is a LAN (aka "intranet") and can pretty
much be configured however you want.  It is not connected directly to
the internet, so it doesn't affect the rest of the world.  The IPv4
address ranges 10.0.0.0/8, 172.0.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16 are
reserved for private LAN use such as your host1-host2 connection.  For
those 2 hosts, put these segments in the interfaces file :

# on host 1
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.0.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.0.0.1

# on host 2
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.0.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

This will give you a working setup on the LAN side (assuming that
'eth0' on host2 is the LAN and 'eth1' is the internet).

Then simply configure NFS or ssh (for scp/sftp usage) to share files
between them.

With the gateway option I gave you for host1, it will consider host2
to be the router through which all packets not destined for
192.168.0.0/24 should be sent through.  When you configure host2 to do
masquerading (using iptables or ipchains), it will do the routing
properly and host1 will have client-side internet connectivity (it
won't be able to be a server, but it will be able to browse and
download, etc).

HTH,
-D

--

The light of the righteous shines brightly,
but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/