Re: ??Woody Support for S3 Inc. Unknown device 8c2e (rev 05) VGA?

Look at www.xfree86.org.  S3 chips are supported.
| Any input on configuring X for it?

I don't think it supports VESA so vesafb (my cop-out from configuring
X) won't work.  Run 'XFree86 -configure' (or something like that) to
get a config to start with.  Then tweak it until it works.
-D

Some S3 chips are still not recognized by XFree86 4.1 (they are in XFree86 4.2, though).
Anything like S3 Virge or more recent IS supported.

The chip you are using must be earlier than S3 Virge (S3 Trio 64V+ or S3 Trio 32, or something).

Those are not supported by the "vesa" driver either because they are VESA 1.2 compliant, not VESA 2.0, which is required by the kernel module "vesafb". You'll find all this info in documentation of XFree86 (for the version you use), they even have a supported-drivers list on their website.
The other source is the kernel documentation of the "vesafb" module.

Hope it helps