Re: Installing and Configuring Laptop NIC

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 13:53, Richard Layton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I am very NEW to Linux not to mention Debian, and a friend said that Debian is (in his opinion) the
> distro to go with.  So,  I have installed Debian 3.0 on a Gateway Solo 2550 Laptop and I need to figure
> out how to get the NIC (Xircom RBEM56G-100) installed and configured.   Can someone please assist me?
>
> Thank You!

1st thing is to get groupwise to send mail in plain text :)

There are be a couple of fairly simple steps to take. I have not gone
and verified that that particular card is supported, so I will assume
that you have done that.

install pcmcia-cs

2.4.18 kernel, you can choose kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-<flavour> the
latter is what I am using,it is apparently part of the official kernel
(from what I can tell)

Then, your card should be detected when you insert it.

if you run "ifconfig eth0 up ip.address.to.use netmask
net.mask.to.use"(or "dhclient eth0") you should be able to test the
card. To make the settings permanent, edit /etc/network/interfaces (see
'man interfaces' for details) one thing to note: do not use auto eth0
for pcmcia devices. pcmcia devices will automatically be brought up by
the pcmcia daemon.

Hope that helps

-Mark