Re: chinese characters and Evolution

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 17:56, Arne Goetje wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 July 2002 15:49, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:46:43PM +0200, Fabian Dortu wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to see Chinese characters on my emails with Evolution. By
> > > selecting various Chinese encodings, I only see ugly squares or strange
> > > characters.
> >
> > It should 'Just Work(tm)' if you install the approriate font packages.
> > Have a look at the xfont- packages, and install the ones you want.
>
> unfortunately that's not the case... at least on my machine... I've had the
> same problem here and therefor dropped evolution again and returned to
> kmail... :(
> I have a chinese system and start evolution in a chinese terminal. However
> the character problems are the same. I guess that evolution cannot handle
> multibyte characters correctly... (like many other programs too  *sigh*).

Do you have a custom font selected for the current GTK+ theme? If so,
try unsetting it.  I did a test last week, using the AquaLightBlue
theme, setting lang=zh_TW in .gnome/gdm, and when I login using GDM,
Evolution was displaying Chinese and Latin characters correctly. When
I can used Verdana as the font for my theme, the Chinese characters
didn't display properly until I used the font (or more likely, the
fontset) specified by the theme.

When change my language setting back to en_CA however, Evolution
continued to display Chinese characters in its widgets until I killed
oafd and restarted Evolution.

Hope this was of some help.

Steven