help with nvidia/x server setup

Hi everyone,

well, I'm trying to install debian for the first time, with a woody installation. I have a pretty new computer, with a ps/2-less motherboard, so in order to boot up at all I needed to use the bf2.4 kernel. network etc. all works great, but I can't make the x server workk. I think the problem lies in my video card -- I get a "no screens found" error after a "no device" error, which I assume means it can't see the card (which uses the geforce 4 DDR chipset, 64 megs memory). From what people say I need to recompile the kernel with the uptodate drivers from nvidia, which are available as a .deb package. So I downloaded those, and also kernel-package, but then I have problems. I jkept looking for the "kernel-source" package and the /usr/src/linux directory, whcih is where I supposedly would find the kernel code; but it wasn't there. and then I looked for kernel-source-bf24 but didn't find it anywhere, not even in unstable. or at least I don't think it was in unstable -- I have testing as my default distro in apt.conf, so I'm not sure.

anyway.... can anyone help me out??? I'm pretty ignorant and didn't expect to have to compile a kernel on the first go here!!!

oh, and also -- everything works fine under redhat, which runs xfree86 4.2 but seems to assign the nv driver to the video card.

thanks loads,

matt