Re: Need web server recommendation

> 1) It won't accept the email address in the "From:" field that I'm trying
> subscribe from, glen@fcwm.org.  Instead it subscribed my
> username@canonical.machine.name - glenlee@hope-in-christ.fcwm.org.  This
means
> that I can only post from this username at this machine.  That won't work,
> because I'm liable to post from any of the machines I happen to be working
on at
> the time.  Now I have to remember which list I've subscribed to from which
> machine.

This sounds like a personal problem to me.  It looks like the envelope
sender address is being generated from your mail server or email client.
Lots of things these days will try to use the envelope sender if possible
becuase it's more legit than the from header since the from header is easily
and often times forged.

> 2) Regarding the spam problem, it's blocking my mail as spam because I
don't have
> the "Reply-to:" field filled out.  I do on Kmail, but not on Xemacs.  I
prefer
> to use Xemacs because I've used the same mail directory setup for years,
and
> Xemacs works with it.  Kmail has the Reply-to field filled out correctly,
but
> won't work with my mail folders.  I don't have time right now to rewrite
the
> lisp code in xemacs to correctly match the reply-to field with the email
address
> I'm posting from.

You should make the time and lose that extra 15 minutes of sleep, then, post
the patch here and on emacs mailing lists.  Someone will probably thank you
for it, if it.  Besides, I think this would not be necessary if your MTA/MDA
were using the right evenlope sender address.  If you tell us what MTA you
are using, I'm sure we can help you configure it to rewrite your envelope
sender.

> The bottom line: to post to the Apache users list I have to use Kmail at
the
> hope-in-christ machine on my system.  If I post from anywhere else it's
blocked
> as spam or as a non-member posting.

It looks to me like the bottom line is that your envelope sender address is
getting wacked so your wanting to switch web server.  This makes to sense to
me.  You do acknowledge the severity of the spam problem out there right?
I'm betting that if the apache list can't match your envelope sender with
your from then it's requiring a valid reply-to.  This is a legitimate
practice IMHO.

> I'm not that dedicated to any server - Apache, Sendmail, Linux, etc., that
I'll
> let it run my life like that.  I need another web server that I can post
to from

It looks to me like it is already running your life.  You are on the prowel
for a whole differnent web platform because you're evelope sender address is
incorrect.

> any machine on my setup using any legitimate MUA - Xemacs, Mutt, Pine,
Kmail,
> Mozilla, etc.
>
> If I can't fix the problem I'm currently having with Apache, and if I
can't find
> another Linux based web server to use, I'll have to go with Windows.  As
much as

I think that is a cop out.

> I can't stand Gates, Linux with it's spam blocking idiocity is just as
abusive

linux doesn't spam block, of course neither does windows, but many windows
software mailling lists do.  Are you sure you won't find yourself in exactly
the same boat as them?  Do you really want to pay MS $300 everytime you pick
of the phone?

> in the way it treats real people as Gates is.  Linux is quickly catching
up with
> Microsoft with the "do it my way or hit the road" attitude.

Man I really disagree with that statement.  Plus, apache isn't exactly
linux.