Getting woody to grab dhcp address on VMware

This issue just fixed itself (for now), but I don't know why and would like
a clue. I'm new to Debian, checking it out and hoping to use replace WinXP
over time.

I've just installed woody on VMware workstation 3.1 (WinXP host OS on an IBM
T23), and I have a dhcp server on a LAN router to provide private IP
addresses.

During boot woody paused a long time at the 'Configuring network interfaces'
step, then completed the boot process after about a minute - but it
apparently got an invalid private IP with a non-existent gateway address in
the process. I don't know that woody actually got that address, but it was
assigned to the VMware LAN interfaces in the Win2K host.

The gateway IP is: 192.168.0.1, and valid LAN IPs are 192.168.0.2 -
192.168.0.9. Woody used a gateway of 192.168.122.254, and got an IP of
192.168.122.1. Red Hat and Win2K virtual machines on the same host got valid
private IPs with the same dhcp server, same setup.

Strangely, this problem just went away - at least on the latest attempt,
after several failed tries yesterday. The fix could be due to a dhcp server
uprade. The dhcp server is a Netgear 314 Firewall Router, and today I just
upgraded the firmware. The upgrade is said to contain new features and not
bug fixes, but maybe that did it.

But maybe not - I would appreciate any thoughts on the likely cause of this
and how to prevent it for future installs or fix it if it happens again.

Thanks,

Dave De Graff