Re: tunneled ssh connection is constantly dropped

On Tue, 02 Jul 2002, Mark Janssen wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 17:39, Timo Benk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I set up an ssh tunnel with the following cmd:
> > #ssh -g -C -N -L 8080:localhost:80 user@somehost.somedomain.com &
> >
> > After a few minutes i got the following msg back and the
> > ssh exits.
> >
> > Received disconnect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: 2: No open channels after
> > timeout!
>
> SSH has some keepalive features, try enabling these, and check if the
> tunnel stay's up then...
>
> Check the ssh_config and sshd_config manual pages for:
>
> ProtocolKeepAlives
> KeepAlive
>
> I'm tunneling over a HTTP proxy, and need the ProtocolKeepalives to have
> my (idle) connections last for more then 60 seconds :)
>
> Just put a Keepalive of 20 or so in your ~/.ssh/config

The keepalive options do not keep connections up. In fact, they do the
exact opposite. They will tear down the connection if the keepalive
time is met. This is meant to keep connections from getting hung if
the remote system crashes, or if the network is down for any length of
time. Check out the manpage for ssh_config for more information.