Re: Any way to recover files after partition corruption?

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 23:19, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I've got a superblock corruption and cannot read the partition.
> I shall have to reinstall Debian, which I can do on anothe part of the
> disk, but there are some vital files in the corrupted partition.
>
> Will any tools allow me to retrieve these, either from Linux or DOS?

If you haven't rebooted the machine yet, do an fdisk -l to get your
partition data's info. Remember them so you can recreate your partition
table.

If the filesystems haven't got corrupted, you can try using gpart to
estimate your former partition layout, then use an fdisk program (fdisk,
cfdisk,sfdisk, though I found parted to be more powerful than the
others) to recreate your former partition table. That is if your problem
only corrupted your present partition table. Don't do a mkfs on the
affected disk else all might be lost. Chances are your data are still
there.

I'd suggest you get a recent, statically-linked version of gpart and
parted to do the task of recovering your partition data.

For instances of filesystem corruption, I recently read of one tool
(provided by some guy from the kernel mailing list), though it's only
for ext2.

--

  -->paolo

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph
GnuPG KeyID 0xEADFF6F4

"You are a software developer. On the cutting edge. You need the
latest and greatest in computer technology. That's why you use, uh,
Unix. Yeah. Anyway, even if your operating system harks back to the
1960s, you definitely can't live without the most modern software
development and management systems available" -- quote adapted
pment and management systems available" -- quote adapted