Re: Particular fetchmail setup

Erik van der Meulen declaimed:
> Dear All - my current mail configuration works like a charm. I have poll
> my provider's uucp-spool regularly over tpc/ip and have sendmail deliver
> this from the mail queue into the various:
>
>   /var/mail/user
>
> files. Now my new employer has given me a new external pop account and I
> would like to add this to my regular mail. Because I am a little
> reluctant to changing a working system (particularly when sendmail is
> involved ;-)) and thus try to find a little advice here.
> I have been told that fetchmail is the way to achieve what I want, so I
> have installed this from woody. My setup seems to require only one user
> (me) to add an extra mail feed so I suppose there is no need for a
> system wide install.
>
> I would be most grateful for any suggestions or sample configs that
> might help in my situation!

See the fetchmail man pages and look for the configuration examples, my
.fetchmailrc file is one line taken straight from them. All mail goes
straight to your mbox unless you divert it with your .forward file or
procmail.

Suggested steps:
1. apt-get install fetchmail
2. create $HOME/.fetchmailrc
3. create personal cron job to run fetchmail on a schedule
4. edit your mail filtering, if desired, to divert messages from the new
account into a special mbox.

NOTE: After installing fetchmail, if it isn't configured system-wide
you'll see messages telling you that it isn't configured whenever you
reboot. These can be safely ignored, or you can set up an
/etc/fetchmailrc file for the sole purpose of getting rid of them.

HTH, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net