Re: Motherboard

Bob Hilliard wrote:
     I am planning to build a new box soon, and I know next to
nothing about selecting a motherboard.

     I would like to hear recommendations of good brands and ones
to avoid.

Good brands:
Asus
Abit
Giga-Byte
Tyan
AOpen

Avoid:
Just about everyone else :)

     I want to get a CPU of about 1 ghz, and have no strong preference
for AMD or Intel.

A 1GHz CPU is rare - 1.2-1.8GHz is much more common and easily availabe for under $100 US as long as you avoid the P4.

> I plan to install 512 mb of RAM.  I would like USB
and Firewire available, and want at least one (preferably 2) ISA slots.

ISA slots are nearly unheard of these days, especially if the board had integrated firewire. If they are an absolute requirement be prepared to look at used components & a PCI FireWire card.

All PC motherboards include at least 3 or 4 USB ports - a computer I aquired last month for work had 8 USB ports before I put in a USB 2.0/FireWire combo card.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

The Asus A7V333 is a nice board, and has everything you're looking for except ISA slots