Re: Configuring a NIC

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:30:35PM -0400, Phil wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a a machine and a small network.  I have no eth0
> recognized.  An [ifconfig -a] command returns a message:
> lo              Link encap:Local Loopback
>                 inet addr:127.0.0.1Mask:255.0.0.0
>                 RX packets:50 . . .
>                 TX packets:50    . . .
> An [ifconfig eth0] command returns an "error fetching interface
> information" message.  My ethernet card sits on the motherboard and it's
> information retrieved with a [lspci] command returns:
> 00:0b.0   Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices[AMD} 79c970 [PCnet
> LANCE] (rev 02)
>         Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 7
>         I/O ports at 7000
> What's the best way to get this thing recognized at boot time.  How do I
> know which com port it's configured for and/or I should put it on.

Is the module for your card loaded? According to the Ethernet
HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.4), that card is
supported by the pcnet32 driver. Use lsmod to see if that module is
loaded. If it's not, try 'modprobe pcnet32' as root, followed by your
ifconfig line. To get it recognized at boot time, look at the manpage
for 'update-modules' in the modutils package. You may also need to
change /etc/network/interfaces, do 'man interfaces' to find out about
this file.
--
Nick