Re: apt-get not printing held back pkgs

* DvB (dvanbalen@jam.rr.com) [020701 14:23]:
> All of a sudden, there're two packages that apt is refusing to upgrade
> and I can't figure out which ones it is.

FYI, the reason that those packages get held back is because apt-get
upgrade will not pull in new packages to satisfy new dependencies on
upgraded packages. For example, say you have foo-1.2.3-1 installed, and
foo-2.0.0-1 becomes available, but the new one depends also on bar,
which you don't have installed. apt-get upgrade won't automatically
install bar. apt-get dist-upgrade will, so foo will get upgraded and bar
will be installed. Alternatively, use dselect or aptitude to be able to
interactively resolve dependency issues before issuing the "make it so!"

> # apt-get -u upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2  not upgraded.
> #
>
> It was printing the held back packages before. Is there an option other
> than -u that I need?

This I'm not sure about. I would have guessed that -u would have done
it, but I can't say for certain.

good times,
Vineet
--