Re: Home network design recommendations/tips sought (long)

Neal Lippman wrote:

> Is it the case that messages on an IMAP server remain there until
deleted,
> in contrast to the pop method where they are retrieved directly to the
> client? If so, then an IMAP server really functinos much like Microsoft's
> exchange server - as a message store. What's a decent IMAP server for linux?
>
> nl

Yep, I think you've got the right idea of basically how it works.  I
asked something similar regarding the IMAP servers recently, and was
overwhelmingly pointed to Cyrus.  I haven't quite gotten to the point of
setting it up yet, as I'm still trying to get my internal file server
built and everything else working in my "spare" time :-).

I found a very informative article on LinuxWorld.  It might be overkill
for what you want, but it might also give you some ideas (it did for
me).  The first part is here:
http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0318.ldap1.html

HTH,
Jason