Re: Installing from ISO

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 04:03:50PM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 06:55:00PM +0300, Sergey A. Ovchar wrote:
>
> > How to mount iso images I know. At current time I'm use RH7.3 ,which
> > was installed from iso images. But I don't understand, how can I
> > make the bootable floppy (in case with debian) and wat can I do
> > further ;-(

If you use IDEPCI floppies with normal DESKTOP PC and NIC, you need only
2 floppies for Debian.  Why download packages in iso which you may not
use?  Debian is very lean.  It ain't RH.

Yes. Please read http://www.debian.org

Especially http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst (network install)
           http://www.debian.org/distrib/ (general install info)

> The install system will pretty soon ask for something like
> basedep.tgz. Make sure you either download that file or extract it
> from the ISO to a reachable partition on your system before you boot
> with the floppy. The installer offers to look for that file on your
> partitions (even FAT I believe).
Yes FAT, MSDOS, EXT2, ...
> Once the base system installation is underway, you can at some point
> switch to another login and mount the ISO for the installation of the
> rest of the packages.
Or install from network :)
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.