gqview -- segmentation fault

Hey - anyone else having problems with gqview?  I have tried every
version back to 0.9.0 (which gives the most complete error messages)
and I seem to get a variety of errors including gdk_imlib errors...
when i run under root it will handle most .xpm and .png images, but not
if there is the slightest thing wrong with them, and it seg faults
immediately on jpegs.

The most descriptive error was from version 0.9.0 saying "jpeg lib 62
caller expects 61" or something like that - which i traced to my
/usr/local/lib/libjepg.so's being *so.62.0.0 and no 61's   i tried
creating links in the libdir name *so.6.1 and variants like that - i am
back on gqview v1.0.2 now - still just segfaulting on most everything.

any ideas?

=====
Shawn Lamson
Debian/GNU Linux Woody
Kernel 2.2.19pre17
XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Jesus Loves You!