kernel upgrade and dhcp

I've recently installed Sid on a new computer and use a Linksys router and cable modem for Internet access. I've built a 2.4.18 kernel image package, and it works fine except for networking.

I've read the relevant HOW-TOs, and searched the list archives, but haven't been able to discover what the problem is, except that it's got something to do with DHCP. The DHCP mini-HOW-TO seems particularly useless.

What really puzzles me is that the installation kernel works fine with DHCP, but the new kernel doesn't. This is the first time I've ever run into this problem and I've been using Debian for over 3 years now (this is the first time I've attempted a kernel upgrade since I got broadband Internet access, but have had a LAN for a couple of years). I've got Packet socket, Network packet filtering, TCP/IP networking, IP: multicasting, IP: kernel level autoconfiguration, IP: DHCP support, and the proper network card options enabled in the kernel build. What am I missing?

Thanks!
--Larry