Re: Quicken under debian - gnucash

David P James wrote:

Paul Scott,,, wrote:
> Neal Lippman wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if anyone could recommend a solution for
>> using Quicken on my debian woody system. Quicken is
>> essentially the ONLY windows application that I still
>> need, and thus is the only reason that my laptop still
>> has windows98 loaded on it.

Except unfortunately gnucash mangles the concepts of
'categories' and 'accounts', which, to be honest, I really
do not like.

It took me a moment to get used to it but categories really are accounts so that just made it easier for me to move on to other uses for their automatic double entry.

On the flip side, guncash did detect some
mistakes that had gone uncorrected in my Quicken files for
years, so I went back and fixed them in Quicken.

That's good.

At this
point I'm still using Quicken and hence Windows 95. I'm
going to try an account-by-account import into kmymoney2
(mentionned in a recent Debian Weekly News) shortly. I tried
a whole import (as in gnucash) but that got really botched up.

gnucash imported a very large setup for me with no errors. The only problem I had was getting used to the sequence for entering splits.

Of course, what I would really like to see is Quicken ported
to Linux, even if I had to pay for it.

I had similar thoughts but I'm glad that gnucash expanded my mind a little. Now I only use Windows for things people pay me to do.

Paul

Paul