Re: Quicken under debian

Paul Scott,,, wrote:
> Neal Lippman wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if anyone could recommend a solution for
>> using Quicken on my debian woody system. Quicken is
>> essentially the ONLY windows application that I still
>> need, and thus is the only reason that my laptop still
>> has windows98 loaded on it.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, wine does not yet support
>> Quicken, nor does the Crossover platform that has
>> gotten a lot of press for its MSOffice support.
>>
>> I am not adverse to running VMWare if that's the best
>> way to accomplish this task (btw, since vmware is
>> proprietary, I assume there are no debs, but just the
>> tarball and rpms on their web site).
>>
>> I am a bit adverse to using Win4Lin, only because that
>> would involve using their patched kernel, and I like
>> using the standard kernels.
>>
> You don't need no stinkin' emulator!  :)  gnucash will
> read your Quicken files and you're free.

Except unfortunately gnucash mangles the concepts of
'categories' and 'accounts', which, to be honest, I really
do not like. On the flip side, guncash did detect some
mistakes that had gone uncorrected in my Quicken files for
years, so I went back and fixed them in Quicken. At this
point I'm still using Quicken and hence Windows 95. I'm
going to try an account-by-account import into kmymoney2
(mentionned in a recent Debian Weekly News) shortly. I tried
a whole import (as in gnucash) but that got really botched up.

Of course, what I would really like to see is Quicken ported
to Linux, even if I had to pay for it.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV