Re: dns setup with domain name

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:25:27PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 04:21:13AM -0400, Debian User wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 09:06:11PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> > > BIND doesn't care less whether you own the domain name or not. Just so
> > > long as it's not going to come across another DNS server that thinks
> > > someone else other than you owns it. For that reason it's a good idea
> > > (TM) to use an illegal domain name internally (i.e. without a valid
> > > extension, so not a .com .co.uk .info .biz etc etc. I just use 'namkas'
> > > here and bind really doesn't mind).
> > >
> > > Matthew
> >
> > I always liked to use .lan for the top level domain for reserve addressed networks. Then build whatever structure you need below that. I just setup a lan for a friend and the internal systems are in netgear.lan . He felt his FS108 switching hub deserved some credit.
>
> Hmm. This is probably extreme and unnecessary paranoia, but you're
> giving out unnecessary info about the hardware. It's the same reason no
> one fills in 'H' records in DNS anymore (I think it's 'H' records...).
>
> Probably silly levels of paranoia!
>
> Matthew
>
> --
>
> Matthew Sackman
> Nottingham
> England

The netgear.lan was only for his lan. There is a DSL router, but it connects to
a linux firewall/gw/router. So nobody know what his DSL router is, which to a
determined hacker might be useful. The netgear is just an 8 port dumb/un-
managed switching hub.

We did go cheap and have his gw/router also do DNS for both the internal and
external domain, so people could query it and find out what 192.168.5.0
addresses he is using on his lan. But hey, he has to consider power, the cost
of extra boxes, space, and the fact that he has no special cooling setup for
his computers.

In my sauna I have 14 computer with 6 UPS, 3 switches,  and I usually keep
about 5 of the machines running at the same time, and its 78 degrees
in there and 73 degrees (fahrenheit) in the rest of the house.
If I'm actually in there with a monitor and/or TV on it can get to 82-84 easily.