Re: dns setup with domain name

Mike Egglestone <megglestone@heritage.sd57.bc.ca> wrote:

Hi,
I wondering if I can setup a dns server on my home network
even though I don't have a registered domain name?
Is this possible?

I guess all I would need to do is install bind or something?
Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Mike

Yes. I did that here a 2-3 years ago. I found the "DNS HOWTO" at: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html to be quite helpful. It provided a good tutorial as well as a reasonable guide to setting it up. It shows quite a few "newbie mistakes" or "gotchas" in setting up the appropriate config files. The version of the HOWTO I used was older than the current version, so YMMV. I really havn't looked at the current version of the HOWTO, but it appears to have been revised fairly recently & probably is "up-to-date".

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-