Re: dns setup with domain name

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:40:18PM -0700, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> Hi,
> I wondering if I can setup a dns server on my home network
> even though I don't have a registered domain name?
> Is this possible?
>
> I guess all I would need to do is install bind or something?
> Any help would be appreciated!!

Yes, just because you don't have a domain name doesn't mean that you
can't set up a DNS system for your home network. I've done this, a lot
of people have. I even worked with company intranets where they're
working on 'illegal' domain names but as it's internal only, it doesn't
matter.

BIND doesn't care less whether you own the domain name or not. Just so
long as it's not going to come across another DNS server that thinks
someone else other than you owns it. For that reason it's a good idea
(TM) to use an illegal domain name internally (i.e. without a valid
extension, so not a .com .co.uk .info .biz etc etc. I just use 'namkas'
here and bind really doesn't mind).

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham

BOFH Excuse Board:
not properly grounded, please bury computer