Re: unzip from sid requires libc5

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry(shalehperry@attbi.com) is reported to have said:

> > Right.  ldd /usr/bin/unzip shows libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001b000)
> >         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
> >
> > It is something screwed up with 'my' account!
> >
> > It gives this error  "unzip: can't load library 'libc.so.5'" when run
> > as me but works fine when run as root.  Just tried other users and it
> > is OK there. Greping my home dir for unzip comes up empty so I don't
> > have anything in bash* causing it.  Logging out and back in doesn't
> > fix it but installing libc5 does (???).  My home dir goes back 6-7
> > years and I am running woody/Sid currently.  It has to be something in
> > there, I guess.  Weird....
> >

> an ld_preload perhaps?

Well it is a strange fix but I got it to work in my account, without
libc5.

As I said this in an 'old' home dir.  In .bash_profile  I had a path
statement the ended with :$PATH.  It was preceeded by about 10-12 dirs.
echo $PATH showed that the path (/usr/bin) was the 14th or 15th in the
list.  I re-arranged the PATH to have the $PATH:(the rest of the dirs),
did '. .bash_profile', echo $PATH and /usr/bin was second in the list.
As root I removed libc5 and then ran unzip in my account.  Works like
a charm again.

I was not aware that there was a limit (is there?) on the length of
the PATH statement.  My old path statement was the problem.  Funny it
had worked fine for so long and never bit me before.

Thanks Sean

Wayne