Re: How do I turn up another NIC ?

Dee,

* W.D. McKinney <deem@wdm.com> [2002-Jun-28 11:45 AKDT]:
> My question is how to get the is interface to work ?
> cardmgr works great with PCMCIA's and DHCP picks up an address
> right away.  The PCMCIA slot defaults to eth1 so I guess the
> on-board NIC could be eth0. I'm just not that familiar with Debian
> to know what to edit to get this to work. Here's the scenario.
>
> Laptop ---> DHCP Gateway --->ISP

If you're hoping to get the on-board ethernet to work, you probably need
to add two lines to /etc/network/interfaces:

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then do (as root) '/etc/init.d/network restart'

and you should be good to go (assuming you've got the dhcp3-client
package installed.  Since you said DHCP is already working with the
PCMCIA card, I'm guessing you do.

Welcome to Debian!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu