RE: find segmentation fault error

Larry Smith (me) said:

--- Larry Smith <doccpu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I run Potato, and had to build a kernel to get
> around
> a lan problem.
>
> Since then, while that Kernel seems to boot and run
> ok, the find utility will usually end with a
> segmentation fault (it will find files up till that
> point).
>
> At that point, I can't even successfully shutdown.
> The system will hang during shutdown on the
> "shutting
> down cron" statement.
>
> Any idea what about my kernel could be causing that?
>
> It's a pretty basic kernel, defaulting most things
> that have a default, includes a lan card and sound
> (both of which work).

Further tests reveal the following:

The fault occurs if I run find as root, in root.

If I'm not root, or not in root, it will work.

If I'm root, in root, and I use the -mount option, it
will not fail.

It almost appears that find is building a list, and
with all the mounted volumes (which he sees as root in
root), he overflows his space.

Is that likely?