Re: Mail Server

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 10:31:29AM -0400, Jeff Hood wrote:
| Have any of you set up Postfix in a professional environment and if so,
| what kind of success/failure have you experienced? I have some Sendmail
| experience but I have been experimenting with Postfix on a test server and
| I have found it rather easy to deploy, but I am unsure of its ability in
| large scale environment. Comments?

I haven't deployed postfix myself apart from testing the debian
install on one machine.  I followed the postfix users list for a while
and read the documentation, though.  Here are my comments :

postfix is well written by a clueful developer (Wietse Venema, of
tcp-wrappers fame).

postfix is fast and does what it was intended to do very well.  For
sample benchmark-type data see
    http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/postfix/vsqmail.html
    http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/postfix/bench2.html

postfix' configuation is almost wholly table-driven.  You will create
a lot of files, each one is a table that drives some aspect of
postfix' logic.  Tables seem very well suited for computer processing
and I'm sure that contributes to postfix' efficiency.

postfix is multi-component system.  One advantage of this is it has
built-in support for a "content filter" -- an external program that
can modify a message before postfix delivers it.

I would give postfix a good rating.

Contrasting it to exim,

postfix does not have the ability to reject messages at SMTP time
based on content.  exim (4) has this ability both in the ACLs and with
the local_scan() API (through which I use spamassassin to reject spam
messages without ever accepting them).

exim's "Chain of Responsibility"[1] configuration style is easier to
understand.  postfix' extensive use of tables makes it harder to
simply jump in and do non-trivial message handling/routing.

exim will eliminate (most) duplicate addresses that result from alias
expansion.  postfix will not --
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postfix-users&m=102271367023233&w=2
Pay your money, take your choice.

Personally I would recommend either exim or postfix.

-D

[1] "Chain of Responsibility" is the name of a pattern in the book
"Design Patterns" by the "Gang of Four".  exim's config is rather
similar to OO design.

--

The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/