Re: Mail Server

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:50:29AM -0400, DU wrote:
> How do you setup a mailserver without becoming an open-relay?
>
> On my local lan I use either mutt or evolution to read/send email. This has
> worked well for a long time. Remotely I mainly logged into my mailserver
> and ran mutt. This also has worked well for a long time.
>
> However with the release of Mozilla 1.0 I have become addicted to its mail
> reader. I use imapd+sslwrap. To read email this is a great combo. However,
> remotely I can't send mail with this setup.
>
> I understand smtp servers can bet setup to use logon/passwds to accept outgoing
> email. Is this a common approach? What else could I do? Is this a configuration
> of exim or is this something else entirely? Is PAM somehow plugged into exim?
>
> Tips and Clues are greatly appreaciated.
>

> --

Thanks for the pointer on the ASMTP in the archives.

I had tried using host_accept_relay before but it doesn't work. I would
get "mail server responded 5.7.1 Relaying denied" from mozilla.

I like having it authenticate better anyway, then I could get from anywhere,
without having to add IPs.

Thanks.