Re: Preferred video cards for 3D?

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 06:35, Michael Jinks wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> We're in the process of drafting a proposal for upgrading the Debian
> machines in our public computing lab, as well as replacing our last
> remaining SGI machine with a Debian box.  The SGI in particular is
> mostly used for scientific visualization applications.
>
> I know this question gets asked on a regular basis, but given a need for
> quick and clear 3D imaging (OpenGL, usually), is there currently a clear
> preference for which video card to use?

nvidia closed source drivers are the fastest, but they have bugs. They
may not be ideal for in-depth development work (eg. I have done Window
Manager development with them running two X servers, one on vt 7 and one
on vt 8 and have managed to lock my machine hard switching between the
two)

The Matrox G400 drivers are slower, but still very fast, and are *much*
more stable. In the above situation I didn't have a crash once.

So it all depends on what you want/are prepared to live with.

Crispin Wellington