Preferred video cards for 3D?

Hi all.

We're in the process of drafting a proposal for upgrading the Debian
machines in our public computing lab, as well as replacing our last
remaining SGI machine with a Debian box.  The SGI in particular is
mostly used for scientific visualization applications.

I know this question gets asked on a regular basis, but given a need for
quick and clear 3D imaging (OpenGL, usually), is there currently a clear
preference for which video card to use?

Thanks,
-mrj

--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #