Re: Which window manager to use?

David Z Maze wrote:

I can't seem to find a window manager I like.  I'm not actually picky
on the appearance, so long as it's not garishly ugly (for example, any
of the Enlightenment themes).  I'm running unstable on every machine
this matters for; I'm also willing to consider things that aren't
(yet) packaged.  Pointers to sites with nice comparisons beyond
http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ are also welcome.

Requirements:

-- Starts on every screen of a multiple-screen display.
-- If a window resizes itself while being moved, notice this fact.
-- Doesn't splatter things on the desktop. (Or can be configured not to)
-- Supports GNOME window manager hints.
-- Supports a two-dimensional virtual desktop setup.
-- Snap-to-neighbor and snap-to-edge window dragging.
-- Straightforward graphical configuration.
-- Includes a root-window menu.

Of things I've tried, fvwm2 is the only thing I've noticed that starts
on every screen, though I haven't tried that much on my dual-head
machine.  The second item is probably a bug in sawfish I should get
around to reporting.  Enlightenment is ugly and segfaulted the second
time I tried to start it.  Window Maker can't be successfully
convinced to not put anything on the desktop (the GNOME panel does
that job well enough).

Any hints/resources?  Thanks...

Although your email sounds like it could cause a lot of flame-bait.

I'll answer with my suggestion/opinion.
But first, I do not use KDE or GNOME or anything/much related to it.

I use WindowMaker. It's fast (like fvwm2), it's pretty (like sawfish), it's configurable.

If you want something that is Gnome compliant, then sawfish or ice are probably the top two options. They are lightweight with lots of capabilities. For Gnome, I stick with sawfish.

That's my $0.02.  Hope it helps.

--
 21:30:01 up  4:00,  1 user,  load average: 1.08, 1.03, 1.01
Linux is the future...