Re: Problems with 2.4. series kernels and Adaptec scsi card

David P James wrote:
> Marc Barnett wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 10:42:32AM -0500, Russ Cook
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am still running the 2.2 series kernels on my
>>> machine, because I've been unsuccessful compiling and
>>>  running a 2.4 series kernel. I have an Adaptec
>>> AHA-2940 scsi card.  When the kernel tries to boot,
>>

>> I'd suggest using make-kpkg with the '--initrd' flag
>> and a kernel config that has aic7xxx
>> (CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX) and your root filesystem either
>> built in or as modules. The resulting deb package will
>> build an initrd image that will load these modules
>> before mounting root. Remember to tell your boot loader
>> to use the initrd image.
>>
>> If you don't use an initrd image then you have to
>> compile these directly into the kernel.
>>
>> BTW: I use the same card, and it works fine with
>> kernel-image-2.4.18-686. Start with the config that
>> uses, and make your modifications from there.
>>

> I too have an AHA-2940 (UW) and I use
> kernel-image-2.4.18-686 without any trouble (good thing
> too, as I have Debian installed on a SCSI HD). But I am
> having a SCSI-related problem with the 2.4 kernel, namely
> with my other SCSI card, an Adaptec AHA-1510A (ISA), used
> to handle [non-critical] external devices. I use grub to
> boot and I have a line passing an argument to the kernel;
>

> #Boot Debian 3.0 on SCSI drive title Debian 3.0, Kernel
> 2.4.18 root (hd1,1) kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686
> root=/dev/sda2 aha152x=0x340,9 initrd
> (hd1,0)/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
>
> (grub is installed on an IDE drive that holds Windows -
> grub had to be placed there in order to boot Windows
> because of the mixture of IDE and SCSI, which is why it
> is hd1 and not hd0.)
>
> When I use the 2.2.20 kernel, this works fine. Not so
> with the 2.4.18 kernel image. I even tried using 'insmod
> aha152x' but it returns an error message telling me that
> there is no such device and that such "errors can be
> caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid
> IO or IRQ parameters".
>
> I suppose I could recompile, but, being sort of lazy I'd
> prefer not to quite yet... plus I'm really not sure why
> it is giving me grief with insmod.

I managed to sort this one out... I just had to figure out
how to enter parameters for insmod;
'insmod aha152x io=0x340 irq=9' did the trick. I also put
those two in the line following the aha152x module entry in
/etc/modules so now everything works as it should.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV