log file size due to unwanted messages

Hello, I am seeking help due to the subject matter.  Specifically, I get a
message in /var/log/auth.log for each minute tick when cron runs.  I also get
an entry in /var/log/daemon.log for each hit off the ypbind network protocol
that I do not even use (we have a busy network with lots of protocols).  In
addition, I get no-never-mind messages in my samba log files even though
"debug level = 0" is set.  All these combined are causing large files in my
/var/log directory.  I would like to reduce these sizes and rid myself of so
many unnecessary messages.

I have seen tools for looking at large log files, but I just want to not have
them in the first place.

Please respond via e-mail.

Any help appreciated...

--