Re: apt-proxy and security.debian.org

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 08:54:08AM -0400, Jason Bleazard wrote:
> I've recently started using apt-proxy, and today discovered that I
> apparently don't have the settings quite right for security.  The other
> settings all have been okay so far, so apt-proxy does work for me.
> Also, apt-get update seems to work okay and find the package lists, but
> it can't actually fetch the package for upgrade.  I'm guessing that
> there's just something with the rsync syntax that I'm not getting here.

Hi Jason,

Actually, its a bug the version of apt-proxy you have.  The file that is
requested is actually a link to the file in pool, and the rsync command that
apt-proxy uses copies the link instead of the file.  You have a couple of

 * Update apt-proxy to 1.3.2, which fixes the bug, and is mainly bug fixes,
   so a good idea anyway

 * Switch your backend to http instead of rsync.  This is a good idea too,
   because it is quicker than rsync.  The default apt-proxy.conf has rsync
   for historical reasons :)

add_backend /security/ \
  $APT_PROXY_CACHE/security/ \
  http://security.debian.org/