Re: combining POP mail and mail file with local "repeating" and combining POP server?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:41:31PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> > From: Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
> > On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:31:06PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > > I'd like to have a local POP server that, when queried, queries another
> > > POP server and looks at a local mail file, and then serves the combined
> > > set of messages to the POP client.

> > Why not ISP->fetchmail->exim->[procmail->~/mail->]local IMAP->netscape?
>
> Is that fetchmail for everything or fetchmail downloading just my
> mailing-list messages?
>

> If that's for everything, it doesn't quite do what I want:  I don't
> want to fetch the non-mailing-list messages unless I'm fetching them
> into Netscape.
>

> I don't think I mentioned another constraint:  My home machine is not
> on line all the time, so I can't use a POP server there to be able to
> check mail from elsewhere (at any time).
>
> That's why I want to leave some mail on my ISP's machine.
>

> Going through several servers would be okay, but I want the non-mailing-list
> messages to remain on my ISP's POP server, accessible from work (or anywhere),
> until I retrieve them from home.

1. Continue to fetch mailing-list mail with cron/ftp.
2. install a local imap server.
3. Whenever you want to read non-mailing-list mail from home with
netscape, run fetchmail which will download that mail from your isp.
4. I think fetchmail must be helped by a MTA listening at port 25 or a
MDA to deliver the mail to your spool file (or to ~/mail)
5. Your local imap server will then see the mail and can serve it to netscape.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand