Re: can't upgrade apache -- apt-get problem?

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 12:16:52AM +0200, Jakob Fix wrote:
> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ potato/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Those are all duplicates. Remove all but the first.

That's invalid. Use http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US rather than
http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US.

> deb ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

The second of those includes the first, as with several other similar
examples elsewhere in your sources.list.

> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ testing main

You've confused yourself there, I think; you have two different
distributions (stable and testing, a.k.a. potato and woody), and are
wondering why stable/updates (or potato/updates) doesn't give you a
higher version. Well, that's because your apache package, along with
most of the other packages on your system no doubt, comes from testing,
and you can't expect stable/updates to provide security updates for
that.

Since to all intents and purposes you're actually running testing, you
should replace "stable/updates" with "testing/updates" and remove the
lines for stable. Downgrading again to stable is possible but probably
not practical.

If you want to stop at woody when it's released rather than carrying on
with the development track, use "woody" everywhere rather than
"testing".

Cheers,