SOLVED: exim doesn't deliver to maildirs

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I solved this by re-running
eximconfig, modifying it by using the examples people sent, and refering
to /usr/doc/exim/spec.txt.

For those who want to convert from mbox to Maildir, here's what I had to
do:

1. exim.conf changes:

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  create_directory = true         # new line
  directory_mode = 700            # new line
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
#  mode_fail_narrower = false
  envelope_to_add = true
  return_path_add = true
#   file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
  directory = ${home}/Maildir/    # new line

address_directory:
  driver = appendfile
  no_from_hack
  check_string = ""               # new line
  prefix = ""
  suffix = ""
  maildir_format                  # new line

userforward:
  driver = forwardfile
  directory_transport = address_directory  # new line
  file_transport = address_file
  pipe_transport = address_pipe
  reply_transport = address_reply
  no_verify
  check_ancestor
  check_local_user
  file = .forward
  modemask = 002
  filter

2 .muttrc changes:

set mbox_type=Maildir
(change all mbox refs to point to desired maildirs)
(launch mutt and create desired maildirs, including parent Maildir
 folder, by saving messages to them after setting the mbox_type)
Note that mutt supports both mboxes and Maildirs, the mbox_type
variable just says which kind it will create when you create a new
mailbox.

3. .forward changes:
Rewrite filter rules, make sure that every Maildir reference ends with a
'/'.

NOTES
I had no problem changing exim's local_delivery transport because my box
is a single-user system. You might want to leave it alone. If your
filters have decent defaults, nothing will ever get saved to
/var/spool/${local_part} anyway.

Several people have offered to proved perl-scripts, etc. for converting
mboxes to maildirs. Personally, I find that mutt provides enough tools
to do the job handily for small mboxes, for the larger ones I'm going
to treat the problem as a python programming excercise.

Thanks all, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net