Re: X, Window manager, and startup question

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 10:41, Dave Whiteley wrote:
> Help please,
>
> I am using xdm and icewm, (but I suspect that my problem relates to
> other window managers as well). I start up several applications at
> login, using .xsession but these all start up in the first virtual
> screen. Is there any way in which I can start them in other screens.
>
> My .xsession is something like:-
>
> xterm &
> application1 &
> application2 &
> exec icewm
>
> I would like application1 to start in the second virtual screen.

Based on the fact that application1 probably doesn't know anything about
icewm workspaces, I'ld guess there's not much you can do within the framework
of xsession.

If icewm has a mechanism for saving state (it's been awhile since I've used
Ice, so not sure what it's current capabilities are), you may be able to
leverage that.  Failing that, if there any icewm-specific init scripts that
you can run, you may be able to move application1 over to Workspace 2.

HTH,
Ian