Re: backup all the changes I made to the "virgin debian system"

On Monday 24 June 2002 20:19, Ian D. Stewart wrote:

I know, pretty bad, replying to my own mail... ;)

> I think I'm starting to see the problem.  As far as I can tell, dpkg does
> not record the datetime when any particular package is installed/upgraded,
> and I can't find anywhere else where this information is maintained either.
>  The trick then becomes accurately determining this information from some
> other set of heuristics.
>
> Apt obviously know's how to grab a .deb given a package name and set of
> sources.  Perhaps this could be leveraged, so as to avoid reinventing the
> wheel.

After further inventigation, it looks like apt-get -d can be used to download
necessary packages without installing them.

Colin,

If a .deb for a given package exists in /var/cache/apt/archives, will apt-get
-d still download it, or will it use the local package?

Ian