backup all the changes I made to the "virgin debian system"

Well, it's been a month of me editing various files turning my virgin
woody system into one that actually works :-) , and now boy do I
regret not keeping a captain's log of at least the names of the files
I changed.  I was thinking that there would be some automatic way to
detect this --- and you guys are going to tell me how please.

Goal: to backup just the changes I made to the "virgin debian system."
Sure hope my backup file will be slim and trim.  I will make a bzip2ed
cpio, just tell me the filenames.  I will have 2 CD-R's and alternate
appending these cpio.bz2's to them every few weeks and keeping them in
separate places in the house.

Hmmm, I suppose I should first make a little list of what packages are
installed and even intending to be installed...

Now about all the files I changed.  Sure most are on /etc but not all.
Yes I could do touch -t XXX timeline; find / -xdev -type f -newer timeline
but then I would have to weed out lots of other non-me generated
files, plus in the future adding packages to this system would blur
the timeline.

I know, I could somehow compare the files on my machine vs. some kind
of packing list of the original contents of packages.  Perhaps a quick
check of if their date field is the same or something?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780