Re: backup all the changes I made to the "virgin debian system"

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:25:33AM -0400, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> On Sunday 23 June 2002 23:40, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Thanks Brian for the CVS tips.  But even if I were to go that route I
> > must still locate all the files except for in /home that I have
> > changed from the virgin debian system.
>
> I imagine it would be relatively straight forward to write a shell script
> that uses dpkg --listfiles to get a list of files for a given package than
> compare their modification time against the datetime when the package was
> installed.

The modtime of an unmodified file from a .deb is not necessarily the
time when the package was installed, since tar (and hence dpkg)
preserves the modtimes it finds in the archive it's unpacking. You would
need to download each .deb and use 'dpkg -c' to get the detailed file
list.