Re: Subject Prefix -> Procmail Hacks

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

> > The subject prefix is widely used by sites running majordomo.
> > One example is PostgreSQL.  I've been on several lists there for
> > years and never heard anyone complain about the [SQL] subject
> > prefix (or any other.)  Odd.
>
> Until you find that you don't need it. Then you'll start wondering why
> it was on there in the first place.

But supposing I like it...is there a procmail hack to prepend to the
subject header?  I could do it in perl but if procmail can do it,
why reinvent the wheel?  (I'd rather be sipping a pint... ;-)

On a tangent: I personally don't much like the spam assassin thing
of storing spam on my hard disk.  Is there a procmail hack to bounce
the crud back to its rightful owners?

I'm sick of Vortex, Vertex or whatever that purveyor of laser toner is
called this week.  I bounce most of the nonsense using sendmail's
access hash table but when this guy changes his address his junk mail
winds up in the spam assassin dust bin, whereas I'd really rather bounce
it back.  To me, this is something to get excited about.  ;-)
(I dunno about you but I feel compelled to examine the contents of
spam assassin's trash bin - morbid curiousity?)

> The first mailing lists I joined were the debian mailing lists. Since
> then I've found other mailing lists that *do* the [prefix]-thingie. And
> *that* I find annoying, as the X-Mailing-List: header sorts things out
> quite nicely.
>
> I would not be surprised if there are tweaks available to Majordomo to
> fix its behaviour...

This is not a default behaviour.  It is an option set in the *individual*
list config file.  So it's really up to the admin.

> Perhaps it has to do with the (alleged) vast majority of mail clients
> out there are decidedly unfriendly when it comes to choosing which
> headers to display and use for sorting/filing... <small>Personally I
> don't care for that and use procmail...</small>

I'm willing to have a go with procmail - presently I'm using Paul
Johnson's little filter to move my debian mail to ~/mail/debian.
Not what I wanted but better than before!

Cheers
Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record           www.sqlclinic.net