Re: exim doesn't deliver to maildirs

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 07:29:16PM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
| Christian Schoenebeck declaimed:
| > > I've been trying to switch from mbox to maildir, but exim won't deliver
| > > to my maildirs. Here's the relevant section of my exim.conf:
| >
| > I replaced the local_delivery section by:
| >
| > 	local_delivery:
| > 	  driver = appendfile
| > 	  create_directory = true
| > 	  directory_mode = 700
| > 	  directory = ${home}/Maildir
          ^^^^^^^^^
| > 	  group = mail
| > 	  mode = 0660
| > 	  envelope_to_add = true
| > 	  return_path_add = true
| > 	  maildir_format
| >
| > That works for me. I also found a nice perl script which converts old mbox ->
| > Maildir. Let me know if you need it.
| Well this doesn't hurt at any rate, the old system of having the primary
| deliver go to
|
| file = /var/spool/mail/${localpart}
  ^^^^

Do note that you must use the "directory =" option, not the "file ="
option in conjunction with "maildir_format".

                                     ^
                                 ^
|    endif
|    finish
|    # end .forward
|
| According to the comments in exim.conf:TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION, it's
| the address_directory transport that handles addresses generated by
| .forward files. Could you send me that section?

It handles addresses that have a trailling slash.  If it doesn't have
a trailling slash, the "address_file" transport handles it.

(see the the arrows I inserted above)

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/