Re: How stable is dual head, twin view feature ?

On Saturday 22 June 2002 03:42 pm, tvn1981 wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Woody system (kerne 2.4.18) with XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1.  I
> also have a Radeon 7000ve with twinview, and an Nvidia gforce2 quadro
> with twinview.
>
> However, I just can't get dual monitor run well on this system. For
> the Radeon card, the twinview feature doesn't work at all,  I was
> told that it doesn't even work w/ this Radeon card even with XFree
> 4.2.x.
>
> The Nvidia card, using the latest nvidia's driver, works!  But the
> problem is X freezes so often, the whole computer just froze, I have
> to physically reboot.
>
> I like the dual monitor setting so really want to know if there's any
> setting that make this work on my system.
>
> So just wondering if it's just me that has problems with twinview
> stuff ?  Or is there any other settings that you would recommend -
> how well is Matrox G400 or Agp+PCI settings ?  they run well ?
>

> thanks

My experience with various "newer" cards under Linux is as follows:

- Nvidia GF2 - couldn't get the Nvidia binary drivers even to run, let
alone try it with Xinerama.

- Matrox G550 - smoothest setup and nicest 2D. 3D performance somewhere
between sucky and non-existent. Dual-head had no problems at all.

- Radeon 7500 - good 2D, fast 3D. Dual-head took a lot of tinkering
 with the XF86Config-4 file to get working under X4.2, but it seems
 stable now it's set up right.

If you want a copy of my XF86Config file to help you set up your
 Radeon, mail me off list and I'd be glad to help.

- Derek