Re: automatic poweroff

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Patrick M wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 04:55:34PM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Patrick M wrote:

[...]

> > Are you saying that pressing and briefly holding the power button
> > _doesn't_ initiate a shutdown?
>
> Yes, I'm saying that pressing the power button for a short moment has
> no visible effect on the machine / os. Keeping it pressed for a
> certain moment (>4sec?) powers down the machine instantly.

In other words, it's not shutting down cleanly, so it's not actually doing
'/sbin/init 0'.

> > Does 'ls /proc/acpi' show all the appropriate files?
> >
> > Here's what I see:
> >
> > ac_adapter  battery  dsdt   gpe   processor  thermal
> > alarm       button   event  info  sleep
> >
> > (Some of those are directories.)
>
> Heres what I get:
>
> $ ls /proc/acpi/
> alarm  button  dsdt  event  gpe  info  processor  sleep
>
> Could it be that I'm missing a single script which would be called
> once all processes are stopped? Do you have a /etc/acpi/poweroff.sh
> script?

No, I have the very same powerbtn.sh as you, and it's called when I
initiate the power-button 'event'.

At this point, I'm not sure what to suggest.  I don't remember (this has
been going on for a while :) whether you indicated what kind of machine
we're talking about.  Is there a BIOS setting not set?  You _do_ have an
ACPI-compliant BIOS?  I know, I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

Sorry,

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman