Re: automatic poweroff

Patrick,

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 04:55:34PM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> > > What happens, when you press the Power button for a short time? Do you
> > > see kernel messages then?
> >
> > With full ACPI support, pressing the power button for a short time
> > doesnt give me any kernel message. But could that event be handled
> > differently by the scripts located in /etc/acpi/ ?
>
> [...]
>
> > $ cat /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
> > #!/bin/sh
> > # /etc/acpi/poweroff.sh
> > # Initiates a shutdown when the power putton has been
> > # pressed.
> > /sbin/init 0
>
> Are you saying that pressing and briefly holding the power button
> _doesn't_ initiate a shutdown?

Yes, I'm saying that pressing the power button for a short moment has
no visible effect on the machine / os. Keeping it pressed for a
certain moment (>4sec?) powers down the machine instantly.

> Does 'ls /proc/acpi' show all the appropriate files?
>
> Here's what I see:
>
> ac_adapter  battery  dsdt   gpe   processor  thermal
> alarm       button   event  info  sleep
>
> (Some of those are directories.)

Heres what I get:

$ ls /proc/acpi/
alarm  button  dsdt  event  gpe  info  processor  sleep

Could it be that I'm missing a single script which would be called
once all processes are stopped? Do you have a /etc/acpi/poweroff.sh
script?

Thanks again,

PM, 22