Re: Exim authentication

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:43:41AM -0700, Mike Mimic wrote:
| Hi!
|
| > Run exim from a shell with '-d9' and then try again.
|
| I have tryed and I get (nothing helpful):
|
| Running PAM authentication for user "[erased]"
| PAM error: Authentication failure
| plain authenticator:
|   $1 =
|   $2 = [erased]
|   $3 = [erased]

I see two problems.
    1)  If you used the authenticator Mark supplied, then the data the
        client sent is wrong.  The client sent 3 strings -- the empty
        string, then the username, then the password.  The
        authenticator Mark supplied expects the username first and the
        password second.

    2)  I'm not sure if this is a problem on linux, but this is from
        exim's spec :
   ----
   In some operating systems, PAM authentication can be done only from a
   process running as root. Since Exim is running as the Exim user when
   receiving messages, this means that PAM cannot be used directly in those
   systems.
   ----

Is linux a system that requires root access to use PAM?  If so, then
pam can't be used directly by exim.  You can, however, use a different
lookup for users (eg look in a passwd file made just for exim, or use
LDAP or SQL or something else).

I hope PAM can be used on linux ... someone please tell me if root is
required.

-D

--

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/