Re: Exim authentication

On Thursday 20 June 2002 06:56 pm, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
[snip]

> Is linux a system that requires root access to use PAM?  If so, then
> pam can't be used directly by exim.  You can, however, use a different
> lookup for users (eg look in a passwd file made just for exim, or use
> LDAP or SQL or something else).
>
> I hope PAM can be used on linux ... someone please tell me if root is
> required.
>
> -D

root is required for configuration. users get to use it but not to manipulate
it. i messed around with it a while back but couldn't see a use for it on my
dialup desktop. it allows you, as root, to determine which users get to use
what services, so, appropriately configured, it shouldn't interfere with user
access to exim.

ben